Just in from Grassroots in Nebraska, Sunday, December 20, 2009.
A message to all members of Grassroots in Nebraska
Please see the information at the bottom of this message regrading a rally in Omaha I was told about last evening.
Our rally is ON for Tuesday.
As most of you well know, Senator Nelson announced today he will vote the health care bill forward.
Senator Nelson did a special live radio show on 1110 KFAB, explaining his rationale. You can listen by CLICKING HERE.
REGARDING SENATOR NELSON’S STATEMENTS on Saturday:
It is clear that Sen. Nelson is doing what he so frequently does on controversial or unpopular bills; he grabs a lot of media attention regarding how he cannot vote for it, threatens to support a filibuster, maneuvers for some special interest group, pet spending projects, and ultimately votes for the bill, claiming how has improved it. Generally, this goes by with little attention from Nebraska media on the end result.
In this case, he did, by all accounts little to no good in regards to protecting life, secured provisions which would benefit insurance companies, and put the rest of America on the hook to fund Nebraska’s Medicaid expenses in perpetuity.
In this case, Senator Nelson “reserved the right” to vote against the final version of the bill should the agreement he reached with Majority Leader Harry Reid and Sen. Chuck Schumer change in a “material way”.
In other words, Senator Nelson can claim he “I voted for it, before I voted against it”.
I do NOT think Nebraskans will be as easily fooled as Senator Nelson hopes. 67% OPPOSE the Health Care Bill.
A vote “YES” for cloture (to move the bill forward) is a “YES” vote for government run health care.
WHAT YOU CAN TO DO HELP WITH THE RALLY:
If you can do any of the tasks besides passing the word, please send an email and we will make arrangements, thank you.
* Most importantly – COME to the rally – and grab some friends. DRESS WARMLY. (Yes it will be cold…did the soldiers at Valley Forge go home?)
* IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF YOU WOULD RSVP. PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL WITH SUBJECT LINE “YES 12/22 RALLY”
* Pass the word – let’s get as many people there as possible.
* If you are on Facebook, invite people to the event.
* Print some flyers in quantities of 50 – 100 and distribute them, or give them to someone who will. Please contact me and I will send you a PDF version of the flyer as soon as its available and / or make arrangements for you to give them to someone who is willing to distribute them if you cannot.
* Offer to distribute some flyers. (We will help think of ideas of where / how if needed.)
* Offer to print some handouts for the day of the rally.
* DONATE a few dollars to the “Chip In” that has been set up on the Grassroots in Nebraska home page to pay for some radio and TV ads to get the word out about the rally. Someone has stepped forward to offer some seed money for this effort so if we all add smaller additional amounts, we will be able to get some ads on the air.
* Offer to pass around clipboards on the rally day.
* Offer to figure out some way to do some hot cocoa / hot coffee efficiently at the rally.
* Offer to do some research on the version of the bill (if we ever get to see it!).
WHAT HAS BEEN DONE…
We have a sound system, lights, Gary (music), and speakers.
We have flyers nearly complete.
Are working on media efforts.
WE WILL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED ON ADDITIONAL NEEDS AND FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS
** EMERGENCY RALLY IN [OMAHA] NEBRASKA **
WHAT: Rally opposing Senate Healthcare Bill and Ben Nelson’s support of it.
WHEN: Sunday, Dec. 20th, 3pm, doors open at 2pm
WHERE: Omaha Music Hall, 17th and Capitol,
WHO: Governor Mike Huckabee
Congressman Terry, Auditor Foley and Sens. McCoy, Fulton, Krist, Price, Lautenbaugh to participate as well.
Visit Grassroots in Nebraska at:
Link to emergency petition to Senator Ben Nelson to vote no: