Kay Hagan lies echo Obama lies, Obamacare impact on consumer spending health care costs and quality, Part 1, Obama lies on keeping your insurance and reducing premiums
“The cost of health insurance will climb from a range of $61 to $77 monthly to a range of $118 to $133 monthly, according to a memo sent from UNC President Tom Ross to the UNC Board of Governors. On an annual basis, most students will pay about $500 to $700 more in 2012-13, depending on the campus.”
“Mallette said the insurance increases are due to the health care usage of UNC system students during the past couple of years, plus federal regulations on preventive care and pharmacy services issued in March. The process is complicated, he said, by the new provisions of the Affordable Care Act.”…Charlotte Observer May 1, 2012
“If you like your plan, you can keep it.”…Barack Obama
“millions of Americans are getting or are about to get cancellation letters for their health insurance under Obamacare, say experts, and the Obama administration has known that for at least three years.”…NBC News October 29, 2013
I was preparing an article on the impact of Obamacare on consumer spending.
Before beginning to write the article, the material expanded so much as to require a multi part series.
So many lies, so little time to expose.
Living in NC, and as sick of the non stop political ads as anyone, I still find my jaw dropping every time I hear the Hagan ad accuse Tillis of Medicare cuts.
Kay Hagan helped Obama pass Obamacare.
Money that had previously gone to Medicare Advantage Plans has been redirected to Obamacare.
From the Daily Caller February 2, 2014.
By Rep. Bill Johnson, Congressman, Ohio 6th District
“One of the most troubling aspects of President Obama’s takeover of health care is the more than $200 billion in cuts that Obamacare is taking from the Medicare Advantage (MA) program – a program that over 15 million seniors and individuals with disabilities have chosen to enroll in across the United States. As of January 2014, Ohio had over 763,797 enrollees in the MA program and roughly 38,766 of those enrollees reside in Eastern and Southeastern Ohio. This administration must stop these cuts to the MA program from happening if they want to protect the well-being of seniors across the country.
Last year, Medicare Advantage beneficiaries learned of a 6.7 percent rate cut that would hit their health care plans in 2014. These cuts are already being felt by seniors as access to doctors becomes more limited, and out-of-pocket payments increase. I recently experienced firsthand what these cuts mean for those living in Ohio when a number of local physicians had their practices dropped from participation in MA plans, forcing seniors to switch plans or leave their long-term physicians.
Doctors throughout my district have expressed their deep concerns over the serious impact these cuts will have on their practices, and their patients. Seniors in Eastern and Southeastern Ohio are losing access to their doctors and seeing an increase in their premiums. Some patients are being forced to leave their doctors mid-treatment. This is unacceptable, especially when 9 out of 10 beneficiaries believe their MA plan helps them live a healthier life.”
“And yet, this month, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is planning to issue a second MA rate cut for 2015, slashing an additional 6.5 percent from these senior plans. In addition to this, seniors enrolled in MA could see between $420 and $900 in benefit reductions next year. Those seniors, who have not yet experienced the disruptions of the first cut, are sure to with the second – MA plans will soon face a total rate cut of 13 percent.”
From The Foundry April 11, 2014.
You may recall Heritage experts’ warning that Obamacare would cut $716 billion from Medicare. That’s still happening.
Despite the Obama administration’s recent walking back of Medicare Advantage cuts for this year, Obamacare’s planned cuts to Medicare are moving forward. This chart shows which parts of Medicare are affected.”
From the Herald Sun September 26, 2014.
“Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina will drop its Blue Medicare HMO standard and Blue Medicare HMO Enhanced plan products in 11 North Carolina counties in 2015, affecting 50,000 beneficiaries statewide.
The counties include: Alamance, Davidson, Forsyth, Iredell, Rowan, Stokes, Surry, Wake, Wilkes and Yadkin, which makes up about one-third of BCBSNC’s Medicare Advantage population, said Michelle Douglas, public relations manager for BCBSNC.
Under HMO plans, beneficiaries generally must get care from within the plan’s network as opposed to PPO plans, which contracts with a network of preferred providers to which the beneficiary can choose.
Mary Snider, a BCBSNC customer who lives in Davidson County, said she received a letter this week that said her Blue Medicare HMO enhanced coverage would no longer be available.
According to the letter, if Snider does not take action before Dec. 31 on selecting a new plan, she will lose prescription drug coverage and only have Original Medicare beginning Jan. 1.
“This is a shock to everybody,” Snider said. “We wish they still offered (the old plans.)”
Snider said her monthly premium for Blue Medicare HMO Enhanced was $18.90 per month, which is confirmed by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) data.
The BCBSNC letter does not outline the new plan offerings or specifics because they are not made public until Oct. 1.
However, according to CMS data that shows approved plan premiums for 2015, the only available HMO plan with drug coverage from BCBSNC in Davidson County is set to increase by just over three times Snider’s current premium, to $63.50 per month.
“There are some people out here who choose between health care and food,” she said about potential price increases. “If you’re caught in the middle, there’s nothing you can do.””