Breaking news from the Wilmington, NC Star News Online, May 28, 2009:
“Breaking news: Four cases of swine flu confirmed in New Hanover County”
“New Hanover County has confirmed four cases of H1N1, also known as swine flu.
The cases involve four elementary school-age students — three at Gregory School of Science, Math and Technology, and one at Snipes Academy of Arts and Design, said Mark Boyer, New Hanover County’s public information officer.
The infected students have not been in school since late last week, county health officials said.
A notice is being issued Thursday to parents through the county’s AlertNow automated message service and a letter will be sent home with students Friday.
At a news conference Thursday, the New Hanover County Health Department said officials are still investigating a timeline of exposure to determine the order of infections.
The New Hanover County Health Department does not recommend closing Gregory or Snipes at this time. Health department officials also said they are working to determine who might have been exposed before the infected patients started displaying symptoms and that they are notifying people who were in close contact with the patients.
On Tuesday, North Carolina health officials reported a total of 14 confirmed cases in the state – one in Durham County, one in Orange County, seven in Craven County, two in Onslow County, two in Carteret County and one case in Rutherford County.”